Band Workout for Building Swimmer's Shoulders
Swim buyer @breannajbehnke walks you through 9 flat band exercises that will help keep your shoulders strong and in good swimming shape!
DO 15-20 REPS OF THE FOLLOWING EXCERCISES:
PASS THROUGH STRETCH
- Hands are outside shoulder distance. The wider they are the easier it is.
- With straight arms rotate arms up, over and behind you, then reverse the motion back in front of you.
BAND PULL APARTS
- Hands are shoulder distance apart. Arms are straight out in front of you.
- Move your hands in the opposite direction pulling the band apart across the chest.
- Step on one side of the band. Grab the opposite end of the band in one hand.
- With the arm at a 45 degree angle, keep your elbow close to the body, and curl the hand up with the thumb pointed up to your shoulder.
- Repeat on the other side.
- One hand is anchored at the side of your hip.
- Other hand starts extended straight out in front of you just below shoulder height.
- With a straight arm lift the extended arm up overhead. Repeat on the other side.
- Band is behind you; running along the spine.
- One hand reaches behind you to grab the band in the middle of your back to anchor the band in place.
- Opposite hand grabs the band at the base of the neck and with your elbow pointed forward extend that arm straight up over head. Repeat on the other side.
- Grab the band at shoulder distance apart.
- Wrap one hand behind your back anchored at the opposite hip. The opposite hand will be forced to follow and land in front of the hip opposite of it.
- With a bent elbow and keeping that elbow glued to your side, pull the band across the front of the body leading with the back of the hand.
FRONT PULL DOWNS
- One arm is straight over the head, that hand is anchoring the band.
- The opposite arm is straight out in front of you at shoulder height.
- With a straight arm pull the band down to your side.
BENT OVER PULL APARTS
- Place your feet together to touch.
- Bend your knees and bend at the waist so your chest is parallel to the ground.
- Grab the band shoulder distance apart and extend your arms straight out in front of you.
- Pull the band apart with straight arms across the chest.
CHAIR POSE LATERAL PULL DOWNS
- Place your feet together to touch. Squat down into your heels like you are sitting in a chair.
- Make sure hands are slightly outside shoulder width apart.
- Raise your arms overhead and pull down bending your elbows away and down.
These are great, thank you! I have a old shoulder injury so can’t lift weights, so this set of exercises is perfect!!On April 09, 2020