Outdoors Together: BIPOC Resource Grant Initiative
Sports Basement's Resource Grant Initiative is intended to help increase accessibility to the great outdoors for nonprofit organizations and school programs serving Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) individuals. Our Resource Grant Initiative was developed as part of Sports Basement's Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness (DEI) program and Anti-Racism Action Plan (ARAP). Applicant submissions that target and serve BIPOC will receive higher priority, as that is the aim of this initiative, though non-BIPOC individuals and groups are welcome to apply. The resource grant includes, but is not limited to:
- Outdoor gear rentals from the Sports Basement rental library (excluding Demo Mountain Bikes)
- Sports Basement Outdoors services from trip planning & guide assistance up to fully funded trips and events
- Digital promotion and marketing options
- Community space accommodations at any of our 10 Bay Area Sports Basement locations (post-COVID)
We want to be a resource for our local outdoor programs so feel free to list out the resources you need on your application (even if they're not on this list) so we can do our best to help. Apply for free below!
- Rental equipment options are based on availability. The one month submission deadline is to ensure gear will be available. Once approved a unique code will be provided to allow the group to reserve all needed gear online. Gear must have a reservation. Total gear given is proportional to the organization's size, reach and partnership with Sports Basement.
- All rental equipment available online, is eligible for use through this program (excluding Demo mountain bikes)
- Applicants must apply at least one month prior to their desired event date (their own trip date or for one of Sports Basement Outdoors' trip dates)
- Programs or organizations that apply must be associated with an existing nonprofit or school. (Individuals can apply for our Apprentice Program.)
- To be eligible, the majority of participants must identify as Black, Indigenous or people of color (BIPOC) or another recognized minority group, under-represented in the outdoor industry