Outdoors Together: BIPOC Apprentice Program
Sports Basement is proud to introduce our Apprentice Program. This program is intended to train Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) to become leaders in the outdoor industry. We'll provide skills and training to individuals who want to get involved in this field, especially those interested in a paid position in the field of adventure guiding with Sports Basement Outdoors.
If you're interested in applying, just look for an SB Outdoors trip or event you're interested in joining and apply below (one spot available per trip). Once selected, we will pay for your spot on the trip and provide any gear, meals or transportation* you might need.
This program has been developed as part of Sports Basement's Diversity, Equity and Inclusiveness (DEI) program and Anti-Racism Action Plan (ARAP). That said, non-BIPOC individuals who identify with other minority and underserved communities may apply, but due to the significant under representation of BIPOC individuals in the outdoor industry, qualified BIPOC candidates will receive higher priority.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Identify as a Black, Indigenous or person of color (BIPOC) or another under represented or minority group
- Must be able to complete activities related to outdoor trips or event (with reasonable accommodations if required)
- No outdoor leadership experience is required, but individuals should be outgoing, adventurous and have a basic understanding of the activity they are participating in
- Required only if seeking employment: individuals should have proof of eligibility to work in California
*Transportation is location dependent.
Applying to our program is free! We accept applications on an on-going basis so individuals may apply to any upcoming trips listed on the Sports Basement Outdoors page. Applicants are encouraged to apply a month prior to the date of activity to guarantee space. Applicants may apply more than once.