Mixed Berry Crumble
Mike Gibson is a jack-of-all-trades for the marketing teams at Sports Basement and clearly at home too! Check out his mouth-watering recipe for berry crumble:
Crust and Topping:
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon (optional)
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups chopped fresh berries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment, and butter or spray with non-stick spray.
For the crust and topping:
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine granulated sugar, baking powder, flour, and salt. Add lemon zest, butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat on low speed until the butter is evenly distributed in small pieces and the mixture is crumbly.
- Dump a little more than half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Use your hand or the bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the dough into the pan.
For the filling:
- Gently stir together all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spread the filling over the crust, then crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.
Adapted from CelebratingSweets.com.
Some of my favorite variations:
- Add sliced almonds or chopped walnuts to the top.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top before placing into oven.
- I use slightly less sugar than recommended as the berries typically have a lot of sweetness to them.